Friday, 7 December 2012
For immediate release
Electoral Boundaries Commission announces redivision of State electoral boundaries
Victoria's Electoral Boundaries Commission (EBC) today announced the start of the redivision of State electoral boundaries.
A redivision is required because there have been two general elections since the last redivision. By law, a redivision could begin on 29 November 2012.
The redivision will restore Victorian State electorates to approximate equality - that is, with enrolments not varying by more than 10 per cent from the State average.
The EBC will hold a public hearing at 10.00 am on Friday, 14 December 2012, at the County Court, 250 William Street, Melbourne (Court 3-3). At this hearing, the EBC will provide information concerning the procedures for the redivision and will take expert evidence about enrolment statistics and population projections.
Key dates for the redivision are as follows:
- 14 December 2012 Public hearing. Opening of submissions
- 1 March 2013 Deadline for written submissions
- Week starting 8 April 2013 Public hearings to hear oral submissions
- 27 June 2013 Release of proposed boundaries
- 29 July 2013 Deadline for suggestions and objections about proposed boundaries
- Early October 2013 Release of final boundaries
- ENDS -
For further media information:
Electoral Boundaries Commission
Phone: 8620 1187